9.09.2011

India - Day 2


Kunal translating my notes on the flats to our patternmaker.

Sunday

We drove in at around 9, both of us fairly hung over, and immediately met the pattern maker he found. His name is Ranakant and worked mainly in Dubai before, apparently. And although we havent set a price yet, he will probably work for about 10 to 20 dollars per completed pattern. PER PATTERN. I felt like we were ripping him off, but then Kunal told me that an average well paid salary equates to about $500 per month, and $200 to $400 for 2 weeks of work doesnt seem too bad. 
First Kunal had his factory make my block samles. Unfortunately I didnt mark the underarm notch well enough or explain that the sleeves were to be set it, so the sleeves sat very far back and pulled on everything.
I started pulling out the seam, but Ranakant and the cutter (whos name I forget, but it sounds like Jarvis), took it out of my hand and went right to work. Stand up guys. I also realize now why Krazy Karl had such a big head; people call each other Master around here for respect.

Pant block (we ended up adding a half inch to the CB):

For lunch we had Chinese. It totally wasnt authentic (Basmati rice mixed with noodles in a spicey tomatoey sauce with crispy chicken and peppers is apparently Peking fried rice), but it was delicious! 
With the blocks complete, we started Ranakant off to make the patterns. 
First toille:



Then it was already 5pm, and EVERYONE cleared out. There wasnt a soul left at 5:02 when Kunal and I left. 
Afterwards, he decided to surprise an embellishment factory he is using that is supposed to have a shipment due tomorrow. It was near a beautiful, lush lake called Powai. The surrounding area is pretty new, about 8 years old according to Kunal, and looks a lot like Rodeo Drive:

These massive apartment buildings rise out of all the lush green trees, all around. I couldnt believe that a beading and embroidery factory would be located here.
And I was right. This is where the neighborhood of the factory, just out of sight beneath the vegetation about 200 feet from the last massive tower:

Inside the factory of about 20 people were some beading areas, a few tables, and a couple of sewing machines and irons. All of the beading and embroidery is done by hand:
Inspecting the garments:

Random pictures from that area:







Also, when I came home, I found out that the builders have come by to do some renovation:

No comments: